Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Personal Hair Trauma


When I turned 8 years old, I was in 3rd grade, and had a mullet.  Maybe it was because I was in love with Joe Elliott from Def Leppard...maybe because I thought I had awesome style, who knows.  In either case, the situation only got worse when I entered 4th grade and decided to perm that mullet.  I do not know what I was thinking.  I looked at pictures later in life and asked my mother how she let me go out like that.  She said its because it was what I wanted.  "Sometimes you say no, mom" is what I told her. Fine it was the late 80s and for some reason my confidence level as a child was higher than anyone I know.

I was chunky, had a huge head, stomach, and this mullet.  There's something to say for confidence though, not one person questioned my hairdo, and I would even start giving tips to my friend, because I thought her naturally perfect long blonde hair with bangs needed some 'Umph'. 

So I am unsure of what my advice to mothers would be.  Tell your daughter no with her choices, or let her make her own mistakes so she can learn from it.  I say that she probably will not get a mullet, but if she wants to rebel with some wacky hair, let her, because sooner or later she will grow out of it and wonder what she was thinking. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My mom actually did talk me out of a perm by showing me how her hair never looked the same after she permed it a few times...AKA the "Scared Straight" (literally) Program. She did however buy me ghetto hot rollers in an attempt to appease me but I never used them out of protest for not being allowed to get the perm.I was also given a "crimper".

Queen Do Talkin'- can you do a post on crimping?