Monday, March 15, 2010

80s / Early 90s Wylde Do Talk

Hello again. After reading Queen Do's last posts, I realized its been a while since I've blogged, so lets just get to the point:

This post is about a funky little thing that I've been wanting to talk about called Wylde Do's. Wylde Do's can be any funky do and are up for interpretation. They might even be mild for some people... but I've decided to speak about specific do's of the past in no particular order, that I deem as non-mild, aka WYLDE. Let us begin.





WYLDE DO # 1: KELLY KAPOWSKI

This do is a late 80s early 90s classic, and here's why: Usually at the beginning of a new decade there's this funky little thing that happens... it's called "rollover". It's when the style of the past decade isn't quite gone yet... so it morphs a little and rolls over into the next decade. Kelly's subtle (by 80s standards) do is a classic case of roll over style into the 90s. It's got a little bit of the past, and moving towards the future with that not so huge but still fluffy do. This was also a popular working girl / news anchor look in the early 90s, and it's super cute, just like Kelly.





WYLDE DO # 2: KELLY BUNDY

Speaking of Kelly's, here's one of my faves. The style icon that is known as Kelly Bundy. Kelly had the best style of the 80s, not to mention hair. It's actually not a far cry from Kelly Kapowski's do, but it has a little more spunk and punk. I like Kelly's hair during the early years of Married With Children when it was really bright peroxide blonde. It's 80s rock / punk / metal / skate at its finest, and I kind of wish this do would come back, but instead Whitney Houston did.





WYLDE DO # 3 SPIKE FROM DEGRASSI JR HIGH

Do I even need to say why this is a Wylde Do? In retrospect this do is pretty busted. The idea of anyone walking around with this do seems odd today, but when I was little I thought this was cool. Spike listened to the Pogues who are actually a horrible band, but I guess this was cool and unique by 80s standards, especially for a mainstream teen show. I've watched this show recently and its shocking how horrible the acting on this program was, nonetheless, props for representing 80s wyldness.





WYLDE DO # 4 LIZ FROM DEGRASSI JR HIGH

Every 15 year old alterna-teen needs a best friend to be different with, and for Spike, this friend was Liz. Liz's personality kind of sucked, but her do made up for it. Sure, I'm a 15 year old skinhead with a chelsea cut... and? Queen Do Talk is going to HATE this do but you know what? In a sea of Brooklyn Bangs it would be refreshing to see someone rock this do and pull it off with the full on look. NO ONE rocks this do anymore. Seeing a chelsea do is just about as rare as seeing a real raver, a mod, or someone who is genuinely into ska. Good luck!






WYLDE DO # 5 THE GIRL FROM SWING OUT SISTER

Let me tell you a little secret: Breakout by Swing Out Sister was the first song I ever got into (yes I'm gay, and I was 7). Clearly there is a rhyme and reason for everything but thats beside the point. Lets talk about this lady's do. Are you craving something edgy and intellectual in the 80s? Are you too mature or understated for the teased out hairsprayed helmets of the decade but still want a little something that says "im quirky"? This Louise Brooks do always comes back in and out of style every decade and there's a reason why: its classic. Its sleek and if you are lucky enough to be born with the mug to pull this off, then by all means BREAKOUT the scissors and cut yourself into style with the Swing Out Sister do.





WYLDE DO # 6 STACEY Q

Wow, Stacey Q. Check out that hair! It looks like someone took about five 80s styling trends and mashed it up into one supreme chia pet-esque sculpture de bimbo. You've got a crimp, a reverse confusion curl, a straightener, some extentions, hairspray, mouse, maybe gel, and the classic bang poof out all in one giant 80s tossed salad of dos. Stacey Q sucked but at least she's not as annoying as Lady Gaga, and she looks better in round WYLDE 80s sunglasses too... but thats a whole other post.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let me start by saying that I don't know shit about do's. I know a don't, so do you. Are you REALLY looking at hair pics from 25 years ago, with your personal hate pen spewing your own dribble. What else from you. Do you know Ms.Q ? I never new what you know about hair. I do know her. I hope you approve of my new hat. your old hat fits you to a Q.