Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Do Talkin' Book Club



I recently purchased Michael Ian Black's first book called My Custom Van - which I believe is a compilation of stories that he put on his blog and might be additional things not on there.

As Vavoom! and I drive home from a day in the city, I read him a section of his book called "An Open Letter to the Hairstylist Who Somehow Convinced Me to Get a Perm When I Was in the Sixth Grade". Here is a little excerpt to show you just why you should be this book:

"Perhaps the fault is ot entirely yours. Perhaps some of the blame rests with my mother, who, upon entering your salon, asked, "What do you suggest?" Perhaps she shouldn't have heeded your advice, even though my mother is a lesbian with about as much fashion sense as the handyman character Al from Home Improvement.

Looking back on it now, it seems like everybody got a perm at Geoffrey's Hair Creations. The "creations" were in fact perms. Maybe that was the only thing you knew how to do, Geoffrey. Maybe you only attended the beauty academy on the day they were teaching the class about how to make smelly, curly hair."


You get the idea of why you should buy this book. I have been a fan of Michael Ian Black for quite some time now - and this book is just the cherry on the cake for me. It's got do talkin' amongst other things. And if anyone knows what a bad perm can do to you, its me, only my stylist wasn't named Geoffrey, his name was Dale. Enough said.

No comments: