Sunday, September 20, 2009

Spring Forward, Fall Back

Hey it's fall and it's time for me to come back and do what I love, and that is to talk about all things do-related.

My friend Rosanne sent me a text this afternoon that she had a pic for me to post on here, and I really have been neglecting this site, but no more my friends, no more.

I am currently watching the Emmy's and all there hair is fine enough as they all have stylists, and I won't bore you with how awesome everyone's hair is, because who really cares.

I stumbled upon this article on jezebel.com regarding how recently a black woman was denied service at a salon because they didn't know how to do her hair. Now with all things wrong and horrifying as that is and everyone knows that it is, I'd like to bring up some points.

First off, in this day and age, shouldn't you learn in a stylist school or whatever how to cut women of all races hair?? Just like you should know how to cut curly hair (which apparently is a task in itself), you should learn how to cut and style women of all races. I am not saying you will ever know how to do corn rows perfectly if you never knew how to do it, but to just cut a woman and/or man's hair should be a requirement.

This is the article I was referencing that I read.

"http://jezebel.com/5362609/will-we-ever-be-able-to-stop-talking-about-black-hair-politics?skyline=true&s=x"

It is a long read, but I think written well on how women feel about their hair and themselves in general.

It also discusses this woman feeling guilty because she had her hair straightened and shiny and that's not how her hair is naturally.

Everyone has their hair woes. People who have straight hair, want those bouncy waves they see on tv. Women with curly hair envy straight women's hair. There are weaves, extensions, clip on bangs, etc., that people use to achieve the look they want. And i for one have no problem with anyone trying to change their look for the better.

Let it stand on record that I love all kinds of hair, straight, wavy, curly, afros, awesome weaves, etc. Ok fine I will never like dreads. Does nothing for anyone. Sorry thats how I feel.

Oh which kind of off topic brings me to my most hated Match.com commercial. Yes its the one with the black guy with dreads who does a little twirl and is like "I like cheeseburgers" - or burgers whatever - its like what the funk? AND WILL THE TREND OF WEARING A FEDORA JUST DIE ALREADY!

Barf-o-rama.

Anyway, I'd like to end this by saying it is hard enough to be a woman, and everything around us is always trying to make us feel bad for not being born perfect. Whatever ladies you want to do with your hair, it's fine, just own that shit like you've never had before. (Oh and since my commentary is sometimes not the nicest for do's I am not into, it's more because I am just trying to understand the choices that people make).

BTW I am almost 30 and still gets zits, so I've got my own problems.

No comments: